Sacramento Financial Abuse Lawyers
Protect Your Loved Ones from Fraud & Financial Exploitation
The fastest-growing form of elder abuse is financial fraud. Each year, thousands of individuals find themselves the victims of financial abuse in their nursing home. In fact, nursing home residents report more cases of financial exploitation than any other form of abuse or neglect.
If you suspect that you or your loved one may be a victim of financial abuse in a nursing facility, The Law Offices of Mark Redmond is here to help you fight back. Our California financial abuse attorneys have over 80 years of combined experience fighting to recover maximum compensation for our clients.
Take action right away and call our knowledgeable nursing home abuse lawyers at (916) 444-8240.
Reasons Why Financial Elder Abuse is On the Rise
Why are these types of abuse cases such a problem? There are several reasons why financial elder abuse is on the rise, including:
- Seniors are often sitting on a lifetime of savings
- Seniors often feel lonely
- Seniors often feel mentally healthy and competent to make financial decisions
- Seniors often make emotional decisions and value trust
- Seniors are often reluctant to use the computer to do research
- Seniors are reluctant to admit a financial mistake
Because of all these reasons, the elderly are prime targets for financial fraud and scams.
Identifying Financial Abuse in Nursing Homes
According to statistics from the National Center on Elder Abuse, financial exploitation is involved in as many as 9 out of 10 elder abuse cases. When it comes to financial abuse in a nursing home, it is important to identify and report the abuse as soon as possible.
Nursing home financial abuse can take several forms, including:
- Using money without authorization
- Manipulating a resident to give money to or buy things for a caregiver
- Asking the resident to trade or sell jewelry or other property for an unfair price
- Pressuring residents to sign financial documents they do not understand
- Stealing personal property from a resident’s room
- Convincing a resident to write a will that includes a nursing home staff member
Falling victim to any of the above scenarios is nothing to be ashamed of, nor should you feel obligated to protect the guilty party. Know that our compassionate lawyers are here to listen to your side of the story. We can help you take the necessary legal action to make the situation right and recover what you are owed.
Elder Financial Abuse Statistics
Because of factors like social isolation, physical dependency, and mental decline, the elderly are particularly vulnerable to financial abuse. In fact, reports have shown that financial abuse of the elderly has significantly increased over the last ten years.
The National Adult Protective Services Association reported:
- 1 in 20 elderly adults reported financial mistreatment in the recent past
- Only 1 in 44 financial abuse cases are ever reported
- 90% of abusers are family members are trusted friends
- Nearly 1 in 10 of financially abused victims will be forced to rely on Medicaid
If you or a loved one is being financially abused by either a person known to you or by a stranger, then it is incredibly important for you to get help as soon as possible.
Get in Touch for a Free Consultation
The Law Offices of Mark Redmond is here to discuss your case and guide you through your legal options. We can help you work toward stopping the exploitation, receiving compensation, and ensuring that those who violated your trust are punished.
- Recognizing and Preventing Fraud & Scams - Statistically, the elderly are much more likely to be taken advantage by financial fraud and scams. However, whether its an investment scam or door-to-door solicitation, there are clear signs for recognizing this type of abuse.
Mark Redmond created an educational video series to train state investigators on how to detect and prove elder abuse. We hope that you find this information useful and that you'll contact us today to discuss the specific issues involved in your case.
Founder Mark Redmond will personally talk with you about your situation and represent you in litigation.
Founder Mark Redmond has more than 25 years experience litigating on behalf of elders and their families.
No Recovery, No Fee
You will never be charged a fee - not even case court cost or expenses unless we win.